We gather twice a month on Zoom to prayer together. Upcoming dates include:
Tuesday 14 September @ noon
Wednesday 29 September @ 8pm
Things to thank God for
- The Senate in Chile unanimously approving the ratification of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons
- Two new interns starting work with Christian CND in September
- The opportunity to commemorate Hiroshima and Nagasaki Days and raise awareness of the consequences of nuclear weapons
Iran Nuclear Deal
For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently – Romans 8:24-25
There has been a pause in talks on the Iran Nuclear Deal since the elections in Tehran, with France and Germany among the states calling for an immediate resumption of talks. There have been reports that talks might not restart for another 2-3 months, while some have suggested that the new regime in Tehran might take a harder approach. Last month, reports from the U.N. nuclear watchdog confirmed Iran has produced uranium metal enriched up to 20% fissile purity for the first time and lifted production capacity of uranium enriched to 60%.
Please pray with us
- Thank God for the continued willingness to engage with diplomatic efforts in this situation
- Pray for the new administration in Iran, that there would be the same commitment to dialogue and potential for peace
- Pray that talks would resume quickly with a spirit of compromise and cooperation on both sides
- Pray that the Iran Nuclear Deal would be a framework for other states to move away from pursuing nuclear weapons
Global security situation
Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming – 1 Peter 1:13
The scenes from Afghanistan over the past month have been deeply distressing, showing once again the folly of war and that those who suffer the most are civilians. While the situation continues to develop, there have been conflicting reports about what the Taliban takeover could mean for the security of Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal. Meanwhile reports indicate that North Korea has restarted enriching uranium at a plant thought to have been used in the production of nuclear weapons.
Pray with us
- Pray for the people of Afghanistan as they continue to deal with the new government and all that the departure of NATO forces entails
- Pray that those who have fled the country will be safe and welcomed, including in the UK
- Pray for peace in the region and that previous conflicts would not reignite
- Pray against the further development of North Korea’s nuclear arsenal
Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons
I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety – Psalm 4:8
Last month the Senate in Chile unanimously approved the ratification of the Treaty, and Chile is set to become the 56th state to formally when the move is confirmed at the United Nations. There are at least five other national legislatures currently considering the Treaty with a view to completing ratification. Meanwhile the first meeting of States Parties – those who have ratified the Treaty, is due to take place in March 2022 having been moved to accommodate the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty Review Conference, which has been delayed until January 2022 by Covid.
Please pray with us
- Thank God for the Treaty and all those who worked to bring into force
- Thank God for those in the Chilean Senate who voted in favour of the Treaty and for everyone who has helped bring Chile to this stage
- Pray that campaigners around the world would be strengthened
- Pray that the nuclear-armed states would engage with the Treaty
- Pray for those diplomats preparing for the first States Parties meeting
Work of Christian CND for the coming year
“The harvest is plentiful, but the labourers are few; therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out labourers into his harvest.” Matthew 9:37-38
Christian CND is delighted to be able to welcome two new interns to work with us for the next year. Liddy Buswell and Simone Ramacci will be visiting churches and helping us reach more people with our vision for a world free of nuclear weapons. We are also preparing for our 2021 AGM and Conference in Newcastle and the election of a new Executive Committee which will be announced at the AGM.
Please pray with us
- Thank God for Liddy and Simone and pray for them as they start working with Christian CND
- Thank God for the opportunity to gather in person for our AGM and pray for a good turnout and that we can reach new people
- Thank God for the work of the Executive Committee over the past 12 months
- Pray for the new Executive as they take up their roles at the AGM
Please keep the Christian CND staff team and Exec in your prayers.