During May we are joining in with the Thy Kingdom Come prayer initiative and will hosting prayer meetings during that time:
Please join Christian CND in praying this month as we intercede for issues here and around the world. We believe God has the power to move in all these situations and that prayer goes hand in hand with our campaigning efforts. There are many things to be thankful for as well as issues we want to bring before God.
Things to thank God for:
- A well-attended Christian CND Prayer meeting on the day the increase in nuclear warheads was announced
- An increase in interest and support for Christian CND and nuclear disarmament following the warhead increase announcement
- A successful webinar on ethical investment with the Nuclear Weapons Finance Research Group
Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons
Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony – Colossians 3:12-14
The Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons continues to raise awareness of the desire of the majority of states to rid the world of nuclear weapons. In March the Treaty was passed to the legislature in Peru to give authority to complete ratification – which should happen in the coming weeks. Meanwhile arrangements for the first meeting of those who have joined the Treaty is being planned, and Christian CND will be joining many other groups in calling on the UK to attend as an observer.
Please pray with us
- Thank God for the decision of the governments of Comoros and Philippines to ratify the Treaty
- Thank God that states have shown leadership in seeking peace and not bowed to pressure from nuclear-armed states
- Thank God for the UK MPs who have supported the Treaty and signed the motion
- Pray that more states would sign and ratify in the coming weeks
- Pray that the nuclear-armed states for engage with the Treaty
UK Nuclear warhead stockpile increase
Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all offense – Proverbs 10:12
The Integrated Review published in March contains plans for an increase in the UK nuclear warhead stockpile by more than 40% – another 80 warheads. The announcement is a breach if the UK’s international obligations to negotiate disarmament under the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and has been challenged by the UN Secretary-General among others. A joint statement opposing the plans was signed by leaders and representatives from seven UK Christian denominations.
Please pray with us
- Pray that the Government would have a change of heart on this announcement
- Pray for those inside Parliament challenging the decisions
- Thank God for the unity of Christians in opposing the move
- Thank God for the broader support in the Christian community
- Pray for the campaign against the warhead increase which is already underway
Situation on the Korean Peninsula
Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling, but on the contrary, bless, for to this you were called, that you may obtain a blessing – 1 Peter 3:9
Tensions and rhetoric have been increasing between the United States and North Korea in recent weeks. President Joe Biden condemned recent North Korean missile launches and Kim Jong Un responded with insults and threats to the United States and South Korea. Meanwhile satellite images appear to show an increase in activity at missile sites in North Korea.
Please pray with us
- Pray that the leaders involved would have the grace and courage to pursue peace
- Pray for those advising Joe Biden and Kim Jong Un to proceed with caution
- Pray for those working for peace in the United States and the Korean Peninsula
- Pray for our friends in the Bargn Nuri Community in South Korea
- Pray that there would be a diplomatic solution to North Korea’s nuclear weapons programme
Please keep the Christian CND staff team and Exec in your prayers.