Join the Christian Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament for its 2019 Conference. As the world increasingly comes to terms with the consequences of climate change, the threat of extinction from nuclear weapons remains. The Doomsday Clock is at 23:58 and tensions around the world continue to increase as leaders rhetoric often includes references to their nuclear arsenals.
In spite of the difficulties, we have a sure hope in Jesus, which motivates us to continue to work and pray for a nuclear weapons-free world. The Conference will focus on the positive work being done by Christians to work for peace and bring about real change in our society.
We’ll hear about work on divestment, encouraging banks, pension funds and other financial institutions to move away from funding nuclear weapons producers towards more socially constructive and beneficial activities. Many of us will have money in institutions funding nuclear weapons, either directly or indirectly – we’ll hear about what we can do to make a difference.
We’ll also hear from the recently appointed Director of Pax Christi about their work for peace and the vision for a better future without nuclear weapons and war.
The welcome to the Conference will be given by Bishop of Colchester Roger Morris, a dear friend of Christian CND and one of the Anglican clergy who spoke out loudest about the National Service of Thanksgiving for nuclear weapons at Westminster Abbey in May. We also hope to have a representative from Brentwood Cathedral with us on the day.
The Conference will be a fantastic opportunity to gather with other Christians who share our vision of a world free of nuclear weapons. We hope you will be able to join us on the day.
- Bp Roger Morris, Bishop of Colchester, will give the welcome and speak a little about his personal journey to a position of opposing nuclear weapons. He will also reflect on the Westminster Abbey service earlier in the year.
- Steve Hucklesby from Joint Public Issues Team will talk about work on divestment and seeking to move money away from funding nuclear weapons producers.
- Theresa Allesandro from Pax Christi will talk about their work on peace across a range of issues including nuclear weapons.
There will also be three workshops running, each will be repeated twice so hopefully you don’t miss out on something:
- Divestment from nuclear weapons – sharing ideas about how to get involved in efforts to get the financial institutions holding your money to move away from investing in nuclear weapons.
- Climate change and nuclear weapons – linking the two current extinction threats facing the world. This workshop will include the screening of a short documentary.
- Christian CND in 2020 – Christian CND will be marking 60 years of campaigning in 2020. This workshop will explore some of the possible activities throughout the year and how you can get involved.
The Conference will be followed by Christian CND AGM, which is open to all members, though only those with 10 months membership may vote. For more information or if you are interested in standing for a position, please contact the Christian CND Office.
At the end of the day there will be opportunity to gather in the Cathedral to pray.
The agenda for the day is:
1015 – Registration and coffee
1040 – Welcome
1100 – Divestment from nuclear weapons – Steve Hucklesby
1145 – Workshop 1
1230 – Lunch
1315 – Workshop 2
1400 – The work of Pax Christi – Theresa Alessandro
1445 – Christian CND AGM
1530 – Prayers in Cathedral
*Running order is subject to change*