On Monday 12 July Christian CND will be hosting a major Zoom meeting as part of the events to mark 60 years of our campaigning against nuclear weapons. The event was originally scheduled to take place in Methodist Central Hall, the location of the historic first meeting of the United Nations General Assembly which saw the very first resolution passed call for the elimination of nuclear weapons.
Join us for what promises to be a fantastic evening of speakers, workshops and memories from the past 60 years. We’re really excited that our speakers on the night will be:
- Revd Dr Inderjit Bhogal OBE – leading theologan and Methodist Minister who recieved the World Methodist Peace Award in 2018. He will spoeak about the biblical principles of non-violence and why Christians should engage in disarmament efforts.
- Marie Dennis – Pax Christi International Senior Advisor and a key member of the team working on disarmament efforts at the UN on behalf of the Vatican. Marie will talk about the steps the Vatican has taken for disarmament and the role of the Catholic Church in the next stage of campaigning.
- Bruce Kent and Valerie Flessati – Stalwarts of the peace movement for decades, Bruce and Valerie will share some of their memories of the past 60 years of Christian CND
In addition to the speakers, there will also be workshops to share ideas on the next season of campaigning including:
- Divestment from nuclear weapons with Steve Hucklesby
- The morality of nuclear weapons
- What’s next for the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons with Rebecca Johnson
- The experience of New Zealand and what we can learn
There will be plenty of chance for questions, sharing ideas and of course praying for peace.