“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God”
Alongside campaigning for a world free of nuclear weapons, Christian CND is committed to praying for a world of peace. Jesus often spoke of peace during his ministry and throughout the Bible Christians are encouraged to bring their prayers before God. Below you can find some suggested topics for prayer in May. You can also download a PDF version of the prayer diary.
Please join Christian CND in praying this month as we intercede for issues here and around the world. We believe God has the power to move in all these situations and that prayer goes hand in hand with our campaigning efforts. There are many things to be thankful for as well as issues we want to bring before God.
Things to thank God for:
- Apparent progress in talks between North and South Korea
- Christian CND attendance at the Non-Proliferation Treaty talks in Geneva
- Bolivia signing the Nuclear Ban Treaty
- Pentecost Sunday, celebrating the giving of the Holy Spirit to believers
Situation on the Korean Peninsula
Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
After months of rising tensions and threats of military force from both sides, the leaders of North Korea and South Korea met at the end of April where pledged for peace and denuclearisation were made. Donald Trump is set to meet Kim Jong-Un in May for further talks.
- Thank God for the progress in the talks, and for the hearts of leaders willing to talk and negotiate
- Thank God that North Korea is willing to close a nuclear test site, where land appears to be no longer suitable
- Pray that the meeting between Donald Trump and Kim Jong-Un would go ahead as planned
- Pray that leaders will have patience and grace towards each other during the talks
- Pray that Christians living on the Korean Peninsula would be strengthened by the news of progress
Global nuclear weapons situation
Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
Donald Trump has to decide whether or not to keep the US in the Iran nuclear deal, which has stopped Iran pursuing a nuclear weapons programme. The international consensus, including from the UK government, is that the deal must be upheld.
- Thank God for the Iran nuclear deal, which has limited the number of states possessing nuclear weapons
- Thank God that according to international observers Iran continues to abide by the deal
- Pray that Donald Trump would keep the US in the deal
- Pray that the leaders in the region would be able to treat each other with humanity, grace and patience
- Pray that other nations considering a nuclear weapons programme would instead pursue other avenues
Meetings on the Non-Proliferation Treaty
Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord
Meetings and discussion on the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty started in Geneva at the end of April and continue into the first week of May. Christian CND sent a delegation for the first week of the talks. Sadly it seems unlikely that the nuclear-armed states will be able to reach a consensus about the future direction of the talks on nuclear disarmament.
- Thank God that Christian CND were able to attend the talks and for the relationships we built
- Pray that these relationships would bear fruit at home in the coming weeks and months
- Pray that those continuing the discussions would be able to find consensus on the future of nuclear disarmament
- Pray that the UK representative would make a constructive contribution to the talks
Nuclear Ban Treaty
For he himself is our peace, who has made the two groups one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility.
In April Bolivia became the latest state to sign up to the Ban Treaty and begin the process of ratification. The Treaty has now been signed by 58 states and ratified by 7. A further 43 states are needed for the Treaty to enter in to force.
- Thank God that Bolivia have signed the Ban Treaty and pray that they will quickly complete the process of ratification.
- Thank God that other states, including Austria, have started to move closer towards signing the Ban Treaty
- Pray that during May further states would sign up to the Treaty
- Pray that states would conclude the ratification process in May
- Pray that awareness of the Treaty would continue to grow around the world
Big Church Day Out
I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.
1 Corinthians 1:10
Christian CND is attending Big Church Day Out, a gathering of thousands of Christians in the south of England. This is a great chance to talk to believers about out work and to spread the message of peace.
- Thank God for Big Church Day Out, a chance for Christians to come together to worship and enjoy fellowship
- Thank God that Christian CND is able to attend Big Church Day Out
- Pray for fruitful conversations and that many would hear about issues around nuclear weapons
- Pray for good weather for the festival
Please keep the CCND staff team and Executive Committee in your prayers.
Also please pray for the following events:
5 May: International Conscientious Objector’s Day
19 May: Christian CND Executive meeting
24 May: International Women’s Day for Disarmament
26 – 27 May: Big Church Day Out
As well as praying, you can support Christian CND by making a donation towards our work.