“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God”
Alongside campaigning for a world free of nuclear weapons, Christian CND is committed to praying for a world of peace. Jesus often spoke of peace during his ministry and throughout the Bible Christians are encouraged to bring their prayers before God. Below you can find some suggested topics for prayer in May. You can also download a PDF version of the Prayer Diary
Please join Christian CND in praying this month as we intercede for issues here and around the world. We believe God has the power to move in all these situations and that prayer goes hand in hand with our campaigning efforts. There are many things to be thankful for as well as issues we want to bring before God.
Things to thank God for:
- Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un meeting in Singapore, with a commitment from the United States to halt ‘war games’ and from North Korea to work towards nuclear disarmament.
- The Church of England Synod debating the ethics of nuclear weapons on Sunday 8 July, and for Christian CND having a stall and fringe meeting.
- Christian CND EGM and Prayer Meeting in Loughborough, where members and supporters came together to hear about our work and pray for our world.
- Thank God that the government is on His shoulders, and that He is our firm foundation on which we can build our work for peace.
Things to pray for this month
Church of England General Synod
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
The Church of England will debate the ethics of nuclear weapons on Sunday 8 July as part of General Synod in York. This will be the first time the Church of England has debated nuclear weapons since 2007. You can read more about it on the Christian CND website.
Please pray with us:
- Thank God that the Church of England has taken this step in allowing for nuclear weapons to be discussed at Synod.
- Pray that there would be a good debate, with all points of view being able to be freely discussed.
- Pray that many would attend the Christian CND fringe meeting and visit our stall in the exhibition area.
- Pray that the outcome of the debate would be adopting the motion and that the Church of England would become engaged in the campaign against nuclear weapons.
Global nuclear weapons situation
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
The meeting between Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un in Singapore appears to have been a success, though there is clearly more work to be done behind the scenes before a final agreement is forthcoming. The steps by North Korea to denuclearize should be the starting point for a world without nuclear weapons.
Please pray with us
- Thank God that Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un held their summit, and for the positive outcome.
- Pray that all those who continue to be involved in the talks behind the scenes on the details of next steps; that they would have the courage to seek peace.
- Pray that there would be a lasting peace on the Korean Peninsula.
- Pray for the Christians living on the Korean Peninsula in this time.
- Pray that this would be the start of other nations working to eliminate their own nuclear weapons.
Nuclear Weapons Ban Treaty
Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23
The Dominican Republic became the latest country to sign the Ban Treaty in June, while Switzerland’s lower house agreed to sign and ratify. A similar vote in the upper house is expected shortly. Other states continue to process of signing and ratification.
Please pray with us
- Thank God for the UN and their role in bringing about the Ban Treaty.
- Thank God for the Dominican Republic signing the Ban Treaty and pray they would quickly complete ratification.
- Thank God that the Swiss parliament has voted to sign and ratify, pray that the upper house would do the same.
- Pray that other states would complete their own ratification process quickly.
- Pray that the nuclear-armed states including the UK would engage in the Ban Treaty.
Also please pray for the following events:
7-8 July: Church of England General Synod
20-22 July: National Justice and Peace Network Conference
As well as praying, you can support Christian CND by making a donation towards our work.